1 June 2013

making truth my priority

she reads truth
a bit more than a year ago, I saw something happen.

I was quite pregnant + spent my days at home watching more Criminal Minds than is healthy for any one person. I rarely left our apartment, and the vast majority of my social interaction took place on twitter.

looking on from my comfortable, undisturbed spot on the couch, I witnessed two women make plans to follow a reading plan on the youversion app, together. I watched on as a few other women asked which plan, as a few more decided to join in. and so I made my way to the app, opened up the soul detox plan, and clicked start on the most transformative year of my life thus far.

I tend to be rather good at forgetting. or flat-out not doing. when life overwhelms, my priorities really shine through. my bible becomes expendable. my day becomes a mere schedule to execute, tasks left unfinished become stumbling blocks.

it didn't take long to find that having a plan set out for me helped to make reading my bible non-negotiable. I got to check off the sections I'd finished, and keep up with the rest of the quickly-growing community. soon, those checkmarks + the accountability weren't the things keeping me going in my reading. wanting that time with God was my motivation.

soon I was finishing up the first plan, the second, and the third. I was cheering with the She Reads Truth girls as they published their first plan, and listening as they took turns pouring out their hearts.

for the first time in years, I found myself captivated by the words in front of me. [this from the girl whose undergraduate major was biblical studies + who taught herself biblical greek.] never would I have guessed that I would wake a mere three hours after giving birth to my daughter, pull out my bible + journal, and scribble fevered notes while my husband + new baby slept through the sunrise.

but that's what this community has fostered. it's not about waking up to catch the morning sunlight shining on bible pages + fresh coffee + perfectly journaled typography, trying to gain as many little instagram hearts as possible. it's about digging in, poring over pages, desperate for more of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

it's about making Him a priority.
it's about clinging to His truth.


 if this is your first time hearing about She Reads Truth, be sure to check out their website
God is moving in the hearts of women all over the world + you don't want to miss out!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blogging tips